Commentary on Current Events

Thoughts, Ideas, and Comments of Bob Cardwell, from Indianapolis, IN. ________________________www.bobcardwell.com

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Indy's Best Known Civil War Monument



Read about it here.

The Indiana Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument sits in the middle of Indianapolis. Ms. Indiana is the name of the statue at its peak and she faces south. The monument is reputed to have one of the best Civil War museums in the world in the basement.

I have not been there for years, but I am looking forward to seeing the new museum.

One of my fondest memories of the Circle [ the circle drive around the monument] is visitng there as a child. There use to be a Penney's department store on the Circle. It had a discount basement we and we would go there to get school clothes at a bargain. The Circle was always dressed up for the holidays. The monument is decorated with lights and is known as the "world's largest Christmas tree." All season long, there would be festivities and singing on the steps of the monument. I can remember it being a honor to have your high school choir invited to sing there.

As a child, I loved to walk around the outside front of the Circle. This is where the fronts of the department stores were. They would be decorated up with Christmas scenes and moving mechanical animations.

My first real date was to the Circle. I had just turned 16 yo and it was a birthday present. I went to the Circle Theatre and saw a movie with my date, Karen, who was the daughter of our church's associate pastor. I consider it a "date" even though our parents had to deliver us and pick us up as I had yet to get my driver's license.

There is also another tradition of celebration at the Circle. After a couple is married, the motoring entourage drives to the Circle with the auto horns blaring. It makes quite a noise as it echoes in the concrete canyon made by the Circle. I have made this trip in celebration twice in the lead car.

With your next trip to the Circle, pause a moment and think about the history and memories contained there in the heart of our city.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home